WHAT IS I-SIZE?
In summary, i-Size has 5 fundamental principles:
- It encourages the use of Isofix – with the aim to reduce the risk of incorrect installation
- It becomes mandatory under i-Size for rearward facing car seats until the child reaches 15 months of age
- It incorporates new side impact testing and the use of new ‘Q’ series test dummies, which have more sensors.
- It will use a height based system with the aim to make it easier for an end consumer to understand what is the correct size of seat for their child.
- Eventually, it is proposed that all i-Size certified car vehicles will fit all i-Size car seats.
We anticipate that i-Size car seats will start to become available towards the end of 2013, but with wider availability in 2014 and beyond.
WHAT IS CYBEX’S POSITION?
CYBEX engineers work behind the scenes alongside other leading brands and car seat institutions to help develop these new standards. As a leading brand in Child Safety, CYBEX welcomes and supports any new standard that increases child safety. CYBEX fully supports i-Size because ISOFIX, Side Impact and rearward facing until 15 months are already at the core of our company beliefs and principles when we develop any new car seat product.
ARE I-SIZE SEATS ‘SAFER’ THAN CURRENT R44 SEATS?
Naturally this depends against which brand and which car seat. CYBEX has always targeted to go ‘above and beyond’ the required standards to ensure the highest levels of safety, especially in aspects such as Side Impact testing and other key developments. Through encouraging more use of ISOFIX and clear labelling based on a childs height, the risk of misuse should reduce and hence why we support a move to i-Size over the coming years.
DO I HAVE TO HAVE I-SIZE AND DO I HAVE TO STOP USING R44 CAR SEATS?
- No – the current ECE R44 legal standard will run in parallell with i-Size until approximately 2018.
- There is no legal requirement or obligation for an end consumer to replace their current seat for an i-Size car seat.
- All CYBEX car seats sold today comply with the highest safety and all necessary legal standards and can continue to be used with full confidence.
INTERNATIONAL TESTING INSTITUTES ABOUT SAFETY CUSHION SYSTEMS
Numerous tests by leading international motoring or consumer organizations have demonstrated that the safest forms of transport are rear-facing seats followed by safety cushion systems.
Car seats with safety cushion have regularly received top results in the test of leading independent European consumer organisations like Germany's "Stiftung Warentest", British "Which Magazine", the French "que choisir", the number one European motoring organisation, the German "ADAC" and the Dutch "ANWB".
When comparing the Stiftung Warentest test results from 2007 to 2012, the top 3 seats in Group 1 (approx. 9 months - 4 years) are seats with safety cushion. In the combination Group 1/2/3 (approx. 9 months - 12 years) the superiority of safety cushion systems is even more striking: 9 seats in the top 10 are seats with safety cushion technology.
Last year Stiftung Warentest and ADAC for the first time ever awarded the top mark "very good" in Group 1 in the category "accident safety" - to the Group 1 test winner CYBEX Juno-fix, a seat with safety cushion. (Stiftung Warentest of test 6/2012)
When looking at conventional seats with harness system there are reports, statistics and studies about heavy or fatal injuries, especially in the critical head and neck area. As a head-on collision is often linked to high speeds, the child is exposed to enormous forces. Our belief here is that the CYBEX safety cushion has tremendous advantages over a harness system. In a simulated head-on collision, car seats with traditional harness system show significantly higher force on the critical neck compared to systems with safety cushion.
Leading Independent institutions continue to award CYBEX and other safety pillow technology manufacturers some of the highest safety accreditations in the industry.